About the Day
---
When Paul O'Neill retired after the 2001 season, I told Alexa that if they ever had a "Paul O'Neill Day" at Yankee Stadium, I was was going to fly up to New York and attend - even at a moment's notice. Because she is awesome, she agreed. (We were engaged, but not married at the time.)
Flash-forward about 13 years. Earlier this summer, when they announced that they were giving Paulie a plaque in Monument Park on August 9th, I called Alexa from work..."Uh...remember what we talked about when O'Neill retired?"
Again, because she is awesome, she said, "Well, you gotta go!". I called a buddy of mine in New York to see if he wanted to make a weekend of it; but, he would be out of town on the 9th. So, I made a determination to go it alone.
I flew up in the morning and flew back after the game. Section 104. Right Field (Appropriately).
The Yanks lost 3-0 to Cleveland and, for the most part, looked flat. But, given that this season is almost lost as it is, it was but a small nuisance on this day. The weather was gorgeous, the pre-game ceremony was extremely cool, and I even got to witness a bit of history as Derek Jeter passed Honus Wagner for #6 on the all-time hit list. It was a phenomenal experience!
---
(Note: You can click on the photos for a larger, clearer view.)
(Note: You can click on the photos for a larger, clearer view.)